Tuesday, 9 November 2010

95. T'was a dark and stormy night..

9th November 2010. It's been wet & windy for the last few days - and according to the forecast we're due more of the same today and tomorrow.

There was a tragic accident at St Jean de Luz on Sunday - a young kite surfer was lifted up and carried away off the beach by an exceptionally strong gust of wind up to the top of a 7 storey apartment block from where he fell to his death. 

I was just flicking through YouTube looking for clips of storms at St Jean de Luz when I came across this one.. It's not St Jean de Luz though. Life has clearly lost its thrill for these two.. (ignore the first 28 seconds) 
The storms at Biarritz were covered on TF1 at lunchtime today:
video
Well, after that review of a damp few days down here in the Pays Basque, what else could I offer you but:
There are a few places I mean to visit in the coming months: the fromagerie Iraty at Mendive, the écomusée de Marquèze at Sabres and the chocolaterie Puyodebat at Cambo.

Regular readers (you can be helped..) will have guessed by now that I'm a Woody Allen fan. Here's one of the more memorable scenes from "Manhattan" - in less than a minute he wraps up the key elements in his personality: his eternal romanticism, his love of New York and the great American standards - in this case, the lush strings of the New York Philharmonic and Zubin Mehta with George Gershwin's 1926 classic "Someone to watch over me":
video
I must be getting old.. I find I can listen to Ol' Blue Eyes nowadays without wanting to reach for the 'off' button.. which is something of a 'first' for me..
Also - by the standards of any era - Ava Gardner was/is stunningly beautiful. 
Note to self: why has it taken me so long to realise this?

No comments: