Saturday 2 January 2021

287. New Year strikes again..

27th January. I spoke with the doctor here yesterday and he confirmed that the stitches in my knee will be removed today - and, best news of all, that I'll be going home on Tuesday 2nd February. It's been a long four weeks.

26th January, I had my knee replacement surgery almost 3 weeks ago at the hospital at Bayonne and it appears that the surgeon did a good job. Since arriving here at the Re-education clinic, Bidart, from hospital 2 weeks ago my twice-daily sessions of physio have been targeted at reducing post-op swelling and restoring the usual flexibility. I was released onto some of the more dynamic apparatus in the well-equipped physio room here yesterday afternoon and none of it posed any insurmountable problems. I should be having my stitches out on Thursday - and after that? Who knows.

5th January. I'm off later on this afternoon to the hospital to have a new knee installed.. I've painted a blue ring around the affected limb so there shouldn't be any doubt as to which leg the surgeon should attack with his angle grinder. I hope to be back here in Pipérade Towers towards the end of the month - so you'll have to talk among yourselves for a few weeks. 

The condemned man ate a hearty lunch - two of Mr Montauzer's finest boudins blancs with truffles accompanied by sauté'd apple were eased down together with a glass of Saint-Pourçain rouge. Any crevices that remained unfilled were filled with a slice of galette des rois (right). Complete the following phrase in four words: "It's a tough job but someone...................".        

2nd January. I hope you all had a happy New Year in spite of the restrictions wherever you might be. It's probably a sign of age but I was glad to pull the plug at 00h15.. and subside gently into a coma.      

This was the scene at the dog-walking beach at around 11am this morning at Anglet.. the air temperature was 2°C and there were quite a few surfers out there in the waves. (rather them than me..!)

 


No comments: